Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Anatole Poray

My in law's family has grown up listening to stories that their Great Grandfather Anatole Poray (Poray Koshetz (Koshitz)) was high in the Russian Army in 1916. We just have no proof at this point. I have started researching this family to prove this for my Mother in law. 

So far, I have found Anatole and his family in the 1920 census in Manhatten, NY. Anatole worked for the Russian Embassy. I also found his Draft Card for WWI. That is pretty much most of what I have found for the family so far. The 1930 Census though is proving to be much harder to find them in. I will not give up though. 

In Russia, I did find a school that holds the Poray Koshetz (Koshitz) name, in the town we believe they lived in (Luhansk) . I will find someone who can help us find the background for the school. It opened in 1923 and our Poray's  left the area in 1916 when they came to America.

Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done here and it will be a challenge to do. Hopefully, we will be able to get this family tree back into Russia!

No comments: